MAKING YOUR VIDEO
If you are unable to attend the open call in BROOKLYN, CHICAGO, LOS ANGELES, NASHVILLE OR SEATTLE, you MUST send in by mail a video with your application to be considered for the show. Your VIDEO should include the following:
What do I need?
You will need a video camera and a friend to film you (you may also film yourself if you have a tripod or a way to set up the camera properly). Although you can mail in your final video and application submission, we would prefer if you attend a casting call
How long should my video be?
The length of your video should be 5- 10 minutes of unedited footage. No music, no cuts, no voice overs, no fancy transitions – raw footage only please in one of the following formats ONLY: .MOV, .MP4, QuickTime or “PLAY” DVD.
How do I make my video the best quality possible?
No need to use a professional video service! Have a friend videotape you, but please do not hold the camera yourself. Make sure we can SEE and HEAR you clearly. Frame the camera from just above the top of your head to your chest.
What do I put on the video?
We want to get to know you as a person and as a chef. What distinguishes you from other chefs? We want to see you both inside and outside the kitchen. Show us your culinary skills, as well as any outside interests that are important to you. PLEASE TELL US, AND SHOW US. Have fun and be YOU!
*TIP: The camera tends to suck the energy right out of you, so keep the energy up!!
1. Please start with your name and where you're from.
2. Tell us your occupation, city in which you currently reside and city you are originally from.
3. Are you currently a working chef? Who are some of the chefs and/or restaurants you've worked with and/or in?
4. Tell us a brief story about yourself - where are you from, what was life like growing up, what do you do day to day?
5. How would your friends or family describe you? What do you think people's first impressions of you are? Tell us the good and bad. Funny? Arrogant? Spontaneous? Klutzy? Nerdy? What were you like in high school? Popular? Quiet? Bullied? Troublemaker?
6. What is something that would surprise us to find out about you?
7. What are your hobbies?
8. What has been the toughest obstacle you’ve had to overcome?
9. Who are your favorite and least favorite chefs (past and present)?
10. List some of your awards and accolades.
11. If you won, what would you do with this opportunity?
12. What is your unique and personal motivation for wanting to compete on the show? Explain why you would be an excellent candidate for Top Chef and why you have what it takes to compete.
INSIDE THE KITCHEN: COOKING & PLATING. We want to see you in your element (a professional kitchen) and in action. Show us your knife skills, plating skills and technique. Remember, since we can’t taste your creation, the more visual, the better. No need to film your entire cooking process – just record the highlights. Wow us!
OUTSIDE THE KITCHEN: Show us any outside interests that are important to you, your neighborhood/town you live in, family, friends, significant others, kids, kitchen staff, etc. Again, don’t just tell us what you like to do outside the kitchen, SHOW US! We love to see you active!
AFTER I MAKE MY VIDEO, THEN WHAT?
Send your video (and or a link and password thereto) and completed application form by mail to the address below:
Top Chef Season 13 Casting
1111 S. Victory Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91502
If you choose to upload mail us the link and password to your video, please first ensure that your video is private and password protected, upload your video onto www.vimeo.com, www.YouTube.com, or www.yousendit.com and mail us the link and password to your video along with your completed application.
APPLICATION/VIDEO DEADLINE: MUST BE RECEIVED BY MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH, 2015 AT 11:59PM EST.*
*Remember the earlier the better. Producer reserves the right to extend the application deadline in its sole discretion.